(Note: This an example also, on how the discussion homework should look like in bulletin that shows the 3-2-1 discussion and 1-2-1 method highlighted in green in the other document I uploaded)
3 pieces of information I took from the readings:
• 1) As a society throughout the years, we might do certain ‘rituals’ or behave a certain way, because that is what has been passed down from generation to generation and is deemed “normal”… without even realizing why we still do those things. For example, some of the practices and beliefs the Nacirema do with their shrines, have been long forgotten yet they continue to add more charms within their charm-boxes.
• 2) I agree with a few of Miller’s points, mainly when he speaks about the importance of looking at the events happening around us and why they come to be when we feel as though our lives are being trapped. A lot of things are not in our control.
• 3) With the openstax chapter, I learned about a lot of theories and many individuals who had contributed an important role to modern sociology today.
2 questions I’d like to ask:
• 1) If you could meet any of the philosophers, writers, critics, etc, that were discussed in the openstax chapter, who would it be and why?
• 2) Do you think we have more similarities or differences with our current society and those of the Nacirema?
1 big takeaway:
• 1) I think that history and culture, and many other factors that sociologist study, influence the way we behave, think, and interact with one another.