Finding a Gap in the Literature
What exactly is a gap in the literature? Why is it important? How do you find it? How do you ensure that you sufficiently justify your selection of a research problem based on a gap? In this second Discussion, you will consider what it means to determine a gap in the literature and why that becomes the cornerstone of your research problem.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the video Identifying Gaps in the Literature.
- Review the resources found on the Walden University Writing Center: “Basics of Literature Reviews.”
- Review the blog post “Defining a Gap in the Literature: On Proving the Presence of an Absence.”
- Consider what it means to find a gap in the literature.
Post a response to the following:
- What does it mean to find a gap in the literature?
- Why is it important that a gap in the literature be identified to support your research problem? Justify your response.