The purpose of this assignment is to develop 3 different clinical research questions.
Elements of the problem to be addressed in a clinical research question:
- Patient or population affected
- Intervention, prevention or diagnostic action to be evaluated
- Circumstance, time factor and/or setting
- Clinical or health outcome
- Select a nursing topic of interest to you and briefly (one sentence) describe why you selected the topic. Then state in 1-2 sentences the health or patient care issue you would like to address in your clinical question, and an intervention you plan to use to address it. The intervention SHOULD be non-pharmacological and within the scope of nursing care in the U.S. (3 sentences total) Remember this takes interaction, look at the literature, talk to other nurses and health professionals. What questions have you had lately? Keep a list!
- Identify the 4 elements of the PICO question. Frame these out. When you have an idea start writing it down and rewriting, frame it out in the format below to figure out the parts. Designate each component clearly:
- In one sentence construct a focused evidence-based clinical question using the PICO format. To write the PICO sentence, review the format for different types of PICO questions. Does it make sense? Have someone else read it and ask them if it makes sense. Does it have all 4 parts of the PICO question included?
Students are encouraged to use the most up-to-date research you can find on your topic (articles published within the last 5 years to 10 years). Systematic literature review articles will not be accepted or approved for this project.