In this course, you have learned that businesses utilize database management systems (DBMS) to store, organize, retrieve, manipulate, and report data. For this assignment, each student will submit an analysis of the business scenario for the ABC corporation. The ABC corporation business scenario is based on a fictitious company that is developing a database management system (DBMS) for storage of product, customer, and sales data. Audience: upper-level business students.
The ABC corporation business scenario provides a foundation in which to examine the components of a database management system (DBMS), development of a system for business purposes and data collection, manipulation, and storage. The ABC corporation analysis should discuss the use of database management systems in business and examine how a DBMS presents a centralized view of data that can be accessed by multiple users. The written essay should be a minimum of 1,000 words in length and follow the APA formatting standards.
The ABC corporation is a newly established company and the owner is looking for an efficient method of collecting, storing, and manipulating data. The corporation offers a variety of pet supplies and is initially a retailer that is currently selling products only online. As the corporation grows, it plans to also include physical retail locations in which to add services to the company’s offerings.
As a startup business, the ABC corporation needs to implement a database management system to allow the collection and sharing of business data among the employees; thus, the database management system should allow for multiple users. The corporation is currently gathering information about database management systems and seeking a contractor to create and implement the system. Business data will be organized in a logical manner and will be retrieved using a client-server network.
In your analysis provide the ABC corporation with information on database management systems and a recommendation from a contractor’s perspective. Information you are providing the ABC corporation should include the following:
- Provide a definition of a database management system (DBMS) and discuss the purpose(s) in business.
- Introduce the business scenario to analyze and discuss the benefits of implementing a database management system.
- Describe what business data the company would benefit from collecting and manipulating.
- Explain how a company uses a database management system to manage data collection, manipulate data and realize benefits from usage of a database management system.
- Discuss the components of a DBMS and the process of developing a DBMS for implementation.
- Discuss why companies utilize various systems for domestic and global business functions.